Flare is looking for a Director of Software Engineering to join the engineering team of our award-winning personal safety technology company. Flare is a bluetooth-enabled bracelet that works with a mobile app to get you help from family, friends, or 911 when you need it. Flare provides people with a personal safety solution that is discreet, quickly accessible, versatile, and powerful in a variety of unsafe situations. Our team is redefining personal safety for thousands of people by creating solutions based on real data and stories, instead of outdated stereotypes about what unsafe situations look like.
Flare is currently available in iOS-only and is written using React Native. The app works via Bluetooth with a suite of connected bracelets. It features beautiful user interfaces that allow a user to connect their bracelet, walk through and test their bracelet, explanations and visualizations of how the bracelet and different features work, and the ability to change settings to better meet their own personal safety needs.
We’re looking for a hands-on mobile developer and manager. You will lead the mobile app development for Flare and be responsible for creating high-quality and consistent app experiences and architectures. You will drive results on mobile app development including managing the mobile app roadmap, new feature development, and our expansion into Android. You will drive to our priorities and deadlines, while acting as the point of accountability and voice of the ‘state of app development’ to senior management in a rapidly changing, fast paced environment. You will help recruit and manage outside developers, designers, or agency partners.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Utilize knowledge of React Native to develop and maintain product features
- Work with senior management to devise solutions to challenges across the Flare mobile platform
- Document and manage a roadmap for new features and architecture
- Execute release process including getting the app built, managing build variants, testing, and submitting to the App Store and/or Play Store
- Identify and correct bugs and bottlenecks through unit tests and code reviews
- Update React Native iOS app and its dependencies given new operating system updates and form factors from Apple, while incorporating material design (and eventually Google)
- Maintaining code quality and organization, developing reusable code for future use
- Self-organize using Asana or Jira and prepare code using git branches and GitHub Pull Requests
- Being an active contributor to the product development team. Working closely with the founders, hardware engineers, and UX/UI designers to create a world class mobile experience
- Analyze and monitor user metrics and feedback to determine issues and improve engagement
- Ensuring the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the application
WHO YOU ARE:
You must be able to check these boxes:
- 10+ years of experience in leading the building, testing, debugging, and delivering mobile apps in a professional environment
- Product-minded engineer with empathy for the customer experience and UX/UI design
- Managed a team of developers
- Created and managed a mobile application product development roadmap
- Have ensured delivery timelines were met in the face of unforeseen challenges
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Native app experience in Swift and/or Kotlin
- Published & deployed apps in the Google Play Store
- Experience recruiting mobile developers
- To apply for this role, upload a current resume and a cover letter. In your cover letter, instead of outlining your work experience, please choose 1-2 of the items on the “You must be able to check these boxes" list above and tell us about your experience with it in 1-3 paragraphs.